Space Applications Services is a company based in the Brussels area (BE) that provides products and services for the space sector in many areas from Avionics, Robotics, Human Exploration, Science and Earth Observation.
The Team is developing a software framework to build complex cloud-based big data processing platforms. The software framework is primarily used for building systems offering massive systematic and automated data processing to deliver products and services using Earth observation data and other data sources.
The target audiences for the framework are scientific algorithms developers, data analysts and service providers who want to implement process/business workflows, taking advantage of cloud computing.
The successful candidate will be based in our main office at Sint-Stevens-Woluwe (Brussels Area). The position is in the Systems Department, Earth Observation Team. The candidate will mainly report to Earth Observation Team Lead.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Designing and developing distributed data processing platforms and services
- Applying cloud-based distributed processing, Big Data methods and technologies to develop the framework
- Configuring and deploying application workflows for automated and on-demand satellite data processing
- Setting up and maintaining Linux and container-based distributed environments
- Contributing to the projects and products technical and end-user documentation
- Participating in the business development activities for the team.
Qualifications and Experience
- A Master Degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or relevant
- A proven experience with or knowledge of:
- The software development lifecycle, including the production of projects or products documentation
- Software programming, especially of Web applications and services (preferably with Python/Django, Flask, VueJS or React.js, Go, SQL using PostgreSQL)
- Designing and interacting with relational databases
- Linux systems as user and administrator, familiarity with Virtual Machines; knowledge of Xen will be an asset
- Cloud-related technologies (Docker, Docker-compose, Marathon/Mesos (DC/OS), Ansible Playbooks, Kubernetes, Apache Yarn and Spark, OpenStack)
- Knowledge of the EU and ESA data exploitation platforms will be considered as an asset.
The successful candidate will have the following skills
- A proactive approach, with initiative and ability to work independently
- Ability to:
- Synthesise, summarise and draw conclusions
- Adhere to strict standards of confidentiality
- Work in distributed international teams
- Strength to cope with schedules and deadlines
- Excellent organisational and communication skills
- Excellent written and spoken English.
What Do We Offer?
- Working in a growing company with Staff located in Belgium, Germany and the Netherlands
- A professional, pleasant atmosphere with motivated and passionate staff, where autonomy and initiatives are encouraged
- An interesting remuneration package with a relocation allowance, if applicable
- A full-time position with an indefinite contract of employment.
How To Apply?
Please apply to this Job Advert by sending your CV and Motivation Letter (both in English) via our website (www.spaceapplications.com), to the attention of Mr. Bernard Valentin.
Applications received through the Career page of our website are reviewed in priority.
The candidate shall be eligible to work in the European Union or in possession of a European Blue Card for two or more years.
We are looking for someone to start as soon as possible.